01. Réminiscences de “Norma”, Op. 20 (After V. Bellini)
02. Il pirata Col sorriso d’innocenza (Arr. A. Wright for Piano)
03. Andante finale de “Lucia di Lammermoor”, Op. 13 (After G. Donizetti)
04. Fantasia on “Moses”, Op. 33 (After G. Rossini)
05. Aus “Lohengrin”, S. 446 (After R. Wagner) No. 3, Lohengrins Verweis an Elsa
06. Paraphrase on “Miserere” from “Il Trovatore” (After G. Verdi)
07. 12 Transcriptions, Op. 6 No. 1, Cavatine de “Robert le diable” (After G. Meyerbeer)
08. La mort de “Tha?s” (After J. Massenet)
09. Phantasiestück über Motive aus “Rienzi”, S. 439 (After R. Wagner)
In the mid to late 19th century, piano transcriptions allowed access to the classics for the majority of people who could not attend opera or orchestral performances. Franz Liszt was of course one such ‘grand opera’ specialist, alongside composers such as Sigismund Thalberg. Andrew Wright is a rarity, in that he is both an expert interpreter and also arranger of operatic themes, and as well as an astonishing virtuoso, enabling the drama of the scene to be preserved.
Following the critical praise given to the original ‘Operatic Pianist’ album (DDA 25113), this set includes transcriptions and fantasies by Wright, Thalberg, Liszt, Kullak, Leschetizky and Ja?ll and amazingly a fine work by Saint-Sa?ns receiving its world premiere recording.
Intense, dramatic and full of action this will appeal to both opera lovers and piano afficionados.